1/12
So it’s Friday afternoon now. I wonder what’s going on at home. It’s been one heck of a week. I think I’m making sound progress with my Spanish. Today each class at school had to make a presentation of a typical Costa Rican dish. Our instructor was congratulated by the program director after we presented. I’ll assume that means that we are doing well. I’ve only been in classes for a week and I’m having a hard time not typing some broken spanglish right now. Even during my phone conversations I find my tongue twisting while speaking English. I hope can do well with this new language.
Today my Australian friend Steve and his wife Diane are leaving for the campus in Playa Flamingo. I wish they could stick around for another week. A large group of students from Chico, CA are also leaving. Maybe (fingers crossed) some southerners will show up next week. It seems like everyone here is from California.
The week before I flew down here I was battling a cold that was coming on. I succeeded in keeping the cold off but brought congested head and a nasty cough down here. My cough began to concern my Tico papa, Kenneth. He suggested to Gina that, if I’d be willing to drink it, she should make me an herbal remedy that she gives Melanie for her asthma. My throat had been hurting pretty bad so I agreed. She showed me the root that she would use, and cut it open for me to smell. The menthol smell immediately started opening my sinuses. About 30 minutes after disappearing into the kitchen she returned with a coffee cup that looked like it was filled with tea. She told me that the other ingredients are honey and lemon. The concoction was pretty good. For the rest of the evening my chest was settled and my throat stopped hurting. After having one of these drinks the past three nights I think I’m nearly cured. I’ll be bringing this recipe back to the states.
Everyday I become more impressed with the resourcefulness of the Ticos. The first day I stepped into the kitchen to throw something away I couldn’t find the trash can. It was there but it was smaller than the waste can I keep in my bathroom. In one day in the states I probably generate as much trash as this family does in a week. Its pretty sad really. Hopefully I will learn something about resourcefulness while I’m here. The automobiles here are another example. For the most part the streets look like a compilation of American greatest hits of the 60’s and 70’s. You can tell that they take great pride in their cars though. No matter how old they are you rarely see one without a fresh coat of paint, usually bright red or blue (hubcaps painted to match). Nearly all of the cars are tricked out somehow. My personal favorite addition is the fixed mudflap that matches the color of the car and is framed in lights. If you could get all of the young people together you could easily make the B version of “Fast and the Furious.” Really it’s like “Fast and Furious” on welfare. I hate it that young people who may want to emulate people from the US probably see that movie and think that we are really like that. My buddy Benjamin from North Carolina is living across the street from a guy that customizes cars by airbrush. In town he is known as “The Man” and though I wouldn’t have him customize my car I have to admit he is very talented. He learned to airbrush by some instructional dvd’s he ordered from the US. He speaks flawless English. All in all he’s a pretty outstanding character. I may get him to airbrush a Crucifix on my laptop or maybe a dragon.
1/14
This weekend brought some pretty cool experiences. After the entry I made above I met some of the other CPI students and instructors for a night of dancing. We arrive at this huge gate. Beyond is a large parking lot that was completely empty. We pay our cover and enter this gigantic pavilion. It is probably 60 to 70 yards long, the pinnacle of the ceiling is easily 50’ in the air. The dance floor ran the entire length and ended at the stage, it was probably 25 yards wide. The dance floor was flanked by four top dinner tables, four deep on each side. There are easily 100 tables in the place. To the right is the kitchen and bar window and to the left is open air and what appears to be a pool with no water. The rafters are topped by bamboo that gives you the feel that you are in a gigantic hut. So we enter and we are the only ones there besides an old fat man and a young fat girl who are already dancing to the orchestra together. The band is good and loud. They play traditional Salsa, Merengue y Kumbia. There are probably 10 band members; there are bongos, drums, horns, guitar, bass guitar and the 3 singers in front. When they aren’t singing the cantors are doing some choreographed moves, which I video recorded on my phone so you all can see. We aren’t there for 2 seconds when an instructor who taught a dance class earlier that week called me to the floor. I remember most of what I learned but am told to shut up and dance about half way thru the song. Eventually the place fills and the floor looks like dancing with the stars. Guys, these people can dance; I could have sat there for hours watching it all. I think I was the only person to step on a toe all night. I wish we danced like this at home. It would be a whole lot more fun. I have to brag a bit though. When we left I got mad props from two of the instructors, Percy y Andrea…. Sorry ladies, my card is full.
Ok one story I forgot to tell earlier. When I was showing my Tica mama, Gina, pictures of the family and everything we happened across a photo of Mom, Phil, and I. When Gina saw it she squealed, pointed and began to sing “she gah laigs, she know how to moo dem.” Then she pretended to spin her air guitar a la ZZ Top. Just in case any of you have not met my Dad, Phil, there are times of the year that his beard is so big that he could probably pass as one of the members. Needless to say I got a great laugh out of it.
As I told you earlier there are nativity scenes in every home here. Every home I’ve been in at least. Well, Sunday after church and lunch people start showing up at the house. I didn’t know what was going on. Gina and Kenneth’s brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, and parents all show up. Apparently before you can take down your Nativity it must be blessed. The whole family arrives and the ceremony begins. The entire family gathers in front of the Nativity and prays the responsorial Rosary. A child reads the mysteries; an adult leads the Hail Mary’s, the Glory Be, and the penitential prayer (I forget the name). The Rosary beads were passed around as a different adult led the next sequence of prayers. Somehow with all of these people in the room the beads made their way to me. One sequence of the prayers was in English, with the exception of the half of the Hail Mary that they responded in Espanol. It was an intimate moment that I was allowed to share and contribute in, many languages, one Faith; I will never forget it. The Rosary ended and the family made their way to the dining room, keep in mind that the home is about 800 sq. ft. I actually sat in the dining room during the Rosary. Tamales, homemade eggnog, cakes, breads make the rounds until everyone is stuffed. I thought the home was loud when it’s just Gina, Kenneth, Melanie and I around here. I was wrong. That wasn’t loud.. this is an absolute circus. The men go to the den, which is right next to the dining room and turn on a dvd of classic Spanish hits. It was hilarious. Wayne Newton, Barry Manilow types, with mullets (of course), tuxedo shirts with enough ruffle for an army of shirts and 20 piece orchestra accompaniment. Over the top doesn’t even begin to describe it. Meanwhile the men sit like nothing is wrong with the scene and sing along. After a few moments I realize that the eggnog is not unleaded, there must be cinnamon schnapps in it. Anyway the family grows louder, tired babies cry, Marshall has sensory overload. I retreat to the confines of my room and get my head to stop spinning.. what a night. I’m learning more than a language at this point.
As an aside, Melanie has added Al Green to her repitoire.
Also I'm really frustrated that I can't talk yet.. it really sucks.
Tuesday, January 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey, keep it up, sounds like you are doing great! We miss you here, but know you are having a great time.
AL Green??? She's how old?
Post a Comment